Thursday, May 15, 2008

Agony uncle

I received this email from a fellow UC sufferer today.

Dear Martin,

Recently I came across your blog and found it very interesting, in particular the poll about ‘When do you tell your new work about your UC?’ I also have ulcerative colitis and coincidentally have just started a new job. I’m not sure what to do, because my boss isn’t exactly the sympathetic type and he’s got a really bad temper. I don’t think I can approach him about my illness, because it might make him angry. He has been known to use force with some of my colleagues who annoyed him, so you can understand I don’t want to get on the wrong side of him. Otherwise I like the job (lots of opportunities to travel!), even though it can sometimes be a bit stressful, and we all know stress doesn’t help with you-know-what! Also I have to wear a uniform, which is quite cumbersome and not at all easy to take off if I need to go to the toilet in a hurry. Touch wood, I’ve not had any accidents yet – the uniform is white as well, so it’d show up like a polar bear’s nose if I pooped myself lol. On a more serious note, I am really worried about telling my boss. Any thoughts you might have on how I can deal with him would be brilliant.

Kind regards.

Edward

P.S. I’ve included a picture of myself (below).