Sunday, April 13, 2008

"I've got 6 GCSE's, a HND and UC..."

When do you tell your new work about your UC?

IN YOUR INTERVIEW: 18%
AS SOON AS YOU START: 11%
AFTER YOUR 3 MONTH PROBATIONARY PERIOD: 5%
ONLY WHEN THINGS BECOME SO BAD YOU HAVE TO TAKE TIME OFF: 61%
NEVER: 5%


Interesting results. I have to admit to being slightly surprised at the number of people who would be willing to bring up their UC in an interview. Only because if there were two identical candidates going for the same job, and one had a chronic illness that may cause them to take time off, I suspect the employer would go for the safer bet. I would. Personally I can’t imagine being in an interview, all tingling with nerves, desperately trying to get my out words right order in the, and then feeling comfortable enough to explain what ulcerative colitis is and how it affects my life. There’s a time and a place, and I’m not convinced a job interview is it. Nor do I think it’s deceitful if you choose not to tell. I mean you wouldn’t admit to a prospective employer you spend all day on Facebook, or you have bad BO, or the reason you left your last job was because you’d slept with every woman in the office (although if you have bad BO, that’s highly unlikely). In an interview surely you play to your strengths. As character building as UC can be, I don’t think it’s going to earn you a big tick next to your name. And finally, I absolutely love the fact that two people said they would never tell their employer. You’ve got to admire the sheer doggedness of someone, who rather than explain why they spend so much time in toilets, lets their whispering colleagues come up with their own sordid little theories. Now that in my opinion takes guts.

Thanks to everyone who voted.